I saw the Unpopular Opinions book tag on Illeanas Book Review. It looked like a fun tag to participate in, so here it goes! (Don’t hate me for my unpopular opinions!)
1. A popular book or series that you didn’t like.
The Selection itself was good, but not amazing. I tried to read The Elite and couldn’t get past page 43. Ugh. America turned into someone I couldn’t stand. The love triangle just ruined it. That was it for me with this series. No desire to even try to read the rest of it.
2. A popular book or series that everyone else seems to hate but you love.
It might surprise some people that Ugly Love would be my choice for this, but I’ve read a lot of reviews from people that didn’t love this book. I did. For me, it was all about the emotions. I think part of the dislike could be age related. I feel like older readers may get this book more than younger readers. That could totally be wrong, but I think it’s easier to identify with if you’ve maybe been through more relationships or different kinds. Like I said, I could be wrong.
3. A love triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with (warn people for spoilers) OR and OTP that you don’t like.
I liked the book, but I just didn’t like how Anna and St. Clair handled things.
4. A popular book genre that you hardly reach for.
Fantasy. I rarely reach for it. If I do, it’s usually something Maggie Stiefvater has written or something that’s been recommended to me. It’s definitely not my first choice.
5. A popular or beloved character that you do not like.
Edward. I wouldn’t say I don’t like him, but I never really got why everyone fell in love with him. He’s dead, people. Dead. And he wants to suck your blood! Team Jacob all the way. Lol.
6. A popular author that you can’t seem to get into.
I feel bad answering this questions, but Jude Deveraux. It’s not that her writing is terrible. It’s good, but the first and only book I read by Ms. Deveraux put me off. I read Ever After and the heroine was a creeper. She did something that would not be acceptable for a man to do in any book. Therefore, it wasn’t cool that she was doing it. I couldn’t look past it.
7. A popular book trope that you’re tried of seeing. (“Lost Princess”, Corrupt Ruler, Love Triangles, etc)
I’m going to combine two and go for Princess Love Triangles.
Oh, and cancer romances. I feel bad saying that. They’re devastating. Cancer touches so many. Maybe it’s the character dying of it that I truly want to see take a break for a while. It has been done so well, so many times already. Why try to recreate the magic of those stories?
8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading.
I’m over vampire love stories. Sorry, vampires! I enjoyed The Twilight Saga (I’m not sure I should be admitting that?) and the Morganville Vampire series, but after that I was pretty much done with them.
9. The saying goes “The book is always better than the movie.”, but what movie or T.V. show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?
Hmmm….I’m going to say HBO’s True Blood. Charlaine Harris’ books were good, but the vibe of the TV show was amazing. From the theme song and images to the actors they cast, it was cool.
I’m going to tag:
Giselle @ Hardwork Boulevard
Joey @ Thoughts and Afterthoughts
and anyone else that wants to share their unpopular opinions!